Lower State Street Update
Posted at h in Uncategorized
Lower State Street Update
- New water lines are in. The City of Schenectady has installed new water lines servicing lower State Street
- National Grid is installing a new gas line on lower State. The existing cast iron gas main was over 100 years old. Work is ongoing.
- Metroplex is repairing underground vaults all along lower State Street. Work is ongoing.
- Callanan Industries was awarded the contract by Metroplex to build the new streetscape on lower State Street including new curbs, lights, sidewalks, trees and other improvements. This will run from Erie Boulevard to the former YMCA at 13 State Street. Work is underway.
- 202 State Street is being renovated. This long vacant former business school is being transformed into 11 upscale apartments and ground floor retail space. Work is nearing completion.
- SCCC is continuing renovation work at 201 State Street. The building will house the College’s workforce development programs. It will also house small tech firms as the State has just approved SCCC’s Start-Up New York plan. The SCCC plan establishes Tax-Free zones at 201 State Street and at the NYBizLab located at 251 State Street.
- The NYBizLab technology accelerator was started by Tony Civitella, President and CEO of Transfinder. The building at 251 State Street will be included in the Start-Up New York program. A major renovation will occur at this building including a new façade that will be part of the renewal of lower State Street. Work is underway.
- A $3.6 million overhaul of the former MVP Headquarters as luxury apartments is underway including the renovation of the parking lot at 119 State Street.
- Absolute Tile Co. is relocating their office and warehouse operations to the entrance of the Stockade at 17 South Church Street, the former Kelly Glass building. Absolute Tile is investing between $100,000-125,000 in renovating the one story brick building.
- The former YMCA at 13 State Street is now vacant. Residents have relocated to a newly renovated building at 845 Broadway. This move will allow Metroplex to begin marketing the building at 13 State Street while providing the residents of the YMCA a modern facility next to the County’s Department of Social Services.
- A consolidated funding application was submitted to New York State for the expansion of Liberty Park across from SCCC and 13 State Street. The goal is to create a much larger community green space and village square called Gateway Plaza at the foot of lower State Street.
- NYS DEC has announced plans to clean up the former MVP parking lot at 222 South Ferry Street. This is a major lot (almost one acre in size) in the lower State Street corridor.
- Work will soon get underway at 165 Erie Boulevard. Matt Baumgartner owner of Bomber’s, Wolf’s and other local establishments will do a major renovation and open his second Wolff’s Biergarten at this long vacant building.
- The owner of 110-114 State Street has signed a letter of intent to renovate the building into eight upscale apartments with two commercial spaces. The new owners of 104 State are also looking at a façade upgrade.
- The owner of 237 State Street received Planning Commission approval to redevelop the first floor of the building as a fitness center.